There is also an estate management office on site, which can be on hand to offer such assistance as taking deliveries, arranging maintenance of the homes and taking care of things whilst you are away. All of these tasks will be covered within the annual service charge.

Frequently Asked Questions


Do I have to be over a certain age to live at Church View?

No, there are no occupancy restrictions.

Who can buy the properties? 

We do not restrict the ownership of our properties and they may be purchased and owned by owner/occupiers, family members, friends, Charities, Trusts or Companies. 

What is the tenure of my property?

The houses are for sale freehold. The apartments on a 999 year lease.

Can I let the property?

Yes. You may let the property at any time however you should inform the management company of your intention to let your property in advance of any tenancy agreement being signed.


Is there a Service Charge and what does it cover?

As with most developments there is an annual service charge which is set up to cover the expenditure associated with managing the development, with an additional element to cover major periodic planned costs. The service charge covers all aspects of managing the development, not unlike managing your own property. Typically, key headings are: employment and associated costs of the estate manager; communal water and electricity charges; lighting of communal areas; maintenance of grounds; upkeep of any shared areas; the periodic external painting and decoration of houses and apartments; gutter clearance; insurance (for the communal area, etc); external window cleaning of all properties; management fee; provisions for periodic costs.

It is intended that the service charge represents excellent value for money. Further services will also be available as and when required on a discretionary basis (paid for as required).

Does the service charge increase each year?

The service charge covers costs including those from external companies and organisations (e.g. utility companies, insurance companies, window cleaners etc) and any rise is influenced by the increases imposed by those sources. The Management Company will manage the costs with any increases kept to an absolute minimum.

When is the service charge payable?

The Service charge is payable on an annual, half yearly or quarterly basis in advance and can be paid by Direct Debit direct to the Managing Agents.

Am I liable for Council Tax at Church View?

Yes. Before you occupy the property the council will rate the property and a tax band will be advised. 

Is there a ground rent payable?

The houses are not subject to a ground rent. The apartments pay a charge of £200 per annum, paid quarterly on top of the service charge.

Are there any transfer/assignment fees when selling a Church View property?

Charge transfer/assignment fees are not charged by the Management Company.

Water meters and charges

Each property is individually metered for water rates. The service charge also includes a small allowance for communal use of water. 


Security alarms

Each property comes fitted as standard with a zoned alarm system, including the apartments. The apartments have a video entry system allowing you to see who is at the front door, on your television.

Is broadband available?

The development is pre-wired for BT phone lines and Broadband.

Can I have a conservatory/garden room fitted?

Before planning permission is sought, approval must first be granted by the Management Company and directly affected neighbours.

What central heating system does my property have?

All of the properties have gas central heating fitted as standard, this includes efficient under floor heating to the apartments and ground floors of the houses. The house bathrooms also have under floor heating.


Can I lock up and leave for extended periods?

Yes. One of the benefits of our Estate Manager is that they can keep a watchful eye over your property in your absence. Your property is also fitted with a zoned alarm system for further piece of mind. Please note, that whist the Estate Manager will look after your property in your absence, neither they nor the Management Company are not liable for the property.

Garden Maintenance

The Estate Manager is responsible for the upkeep of all gardens areas, including both private areas and communal. If you purchase a house at Church View, it will come with a full landscaped ‘low maintenance’ garden, should you wish to alter in any significant way the layout or appearance of the garden then permission should be sought from the Management Company in advance.

Are pets allowed?

Generally speaking pets are permitted at Church View, this is however at the total discretion of the Management Company. If a pet causes a nuisance to other residents, the Management Company reserves the right to ask for the pet to be removed from the development.

Is there an emergency call out service?

Each property is fitted with a state of the art Tunstall Telehealth system for future piece of mind, which enables a resident to subscribe to a 24/7 call out UK based, centre support service. A range of additional support devices are also available to enhance the system’s capabilities and a representative from Tunstall will provide a briefing on the system and its additional features when you move into your property should you wish.

Are there communal facilities?

The development enjoys beautiful landscaped gardens and forms part of the adjoining development of Fortescue Fields, which included a Shop & Post Office (re-opening late summer 2016) and adjoins Church Mead and recreation area and cricket pitch in the heart of the village.

What do I do with my rubbish?

There are communal refuse and recycling bins located in the Car Port opposite the apartment block; these are for the use of all residents at Church View.  The Estate Manager will collect bags from individual properties on a regular basis if required (subject to a small charge).


Is the Estate Manager able to give medical assistance?

The Estate Manager will be on site Monday to Friday for four hours a day. They will be based in the Estate Managers Office and will have both a mobile phone and landline. They can be contact out of hours if you have a property related emergency only.


Window Cleaning

The Estate Manger will be responsible for organising from your windows to be cleaned on a quarterly basis. This is included in the service charge.

Who is responsible for the decoration of my property?

Church View Management Company is responsibility for the periodic redecoration of the exterior of the properties. As the owner of a property you will be responsible for internal decoration.

How often is external decorating carried out?

This is carried out on a planned basis, occurring normally every 5 years or as required. The cost of these works is covered in your service charge. 

Internal structural alterations

Yes, changes may be made internally to the structure of a property, subject to any necessary consent required from the Planning/Building Regulation department. Internal changes that require any alterations to the external appearance of any of the properties will first require the consent of the Management Company.  

Building Repairs

Built into the service charge is a sum to cover the general ware of tear of the buildings, such as damaged gutters or replacing roof tiles. The properties are covered by a 10 year Premier Guarantee against structural defects and each property has a two year developer backed defect liability.